10/26/2011

The book I remembered and started to re-read

H. Douhlas Brown, "TEACHING by PRINCIPLES" Longman (2001)

I remembered this book when I was writing my first post to "Week 5 Discussion".
Its chapter 11&12 are about interactive language teaching.  I bookmarked pp. 167-168.  I used this textbook when I learned in University of Washington.  I still remember very clearly when I first read this chapter and knew teacher's roles, as many as five roles partly because this concept was quite new to me.  The five roles of the interactive teacher are;

1. The Teacher as Controller
2. The Teacher as Director
3. The Teacher as Manager
4. The Teacher as Facilitator
5. The Teacher as Resource

Now I have got a good chance to read this again and have to think teacher's roles in PBL classes.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Masafi,

    As I wrote in my blog, where I quoted you: If we have 5 roles, we should get five salaries!

    Yeah right...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Avraham,

    Thank you for your comment.

    I agree with you that this is quite tough. Yet, when I was reading Susan's paper, I observed her playing some of these roles.
    I am still wondering if some of these roles are required to make PBL successful.

    Five salaries!?
    Yes, also I am still dreaming of... :)

    ReplyDelete