10/23/2011

Week 4: We must be good at sauteing or simmering!?

1. Discussion: Reading/writing skill-building
---What I learned and thought.
#1 We must "cook" the materials on the web.
---Thanks to Robert, "Audacity" gave me a chance to think about "cooking"  materials on the website.  With "Audacity", we can easily adjust the listening materials  One of good examples is that we can change the speed without changing a pitch.  In other words, we can make every listening material with the suitable wpm to our students.

#2 The three basic elements for an interactive e-learning.
---One of the reading materials, 'Using the Internet in ESL Writing Instruction', taught me them, web pages, email connection, and creating class website.  I am now planning to make my class website(Homepage).
2. Task: Create a technology-enhanced lesson plan
---What I learned and thought
#1 Two types of supplemental activities.
---I haven't thought of giving different kinds/levels of homework, especially for classes of more than  twenty students.  'Planning for Instruction' (Tennessee University) taught me two types, Extensions and Remediation.
It may be quite difficult without to give these two kinds according to their understanding level, but much easier with a good use of materials on the Internet.


#2 The lesson with technology must not be a just combination of materials on the Internet.
--- Here again, thanks to "Audacity", I learned to "cook " materials.  Considering "Adaptations for Special Learners",  teachers who work at Special-Needs schools like me should regard this  "cooking process"as an important/necessary factor when they make lesson plans.
3.  Describing some issues, and others
---What I learned and thought
#1 What technology can improve and cannot.
This was a good chance to think deeply about what I can improve with technology.
As for some points, it was difficult to improve partly because her LD in some areas.  As for some points, it would be quite easy to improve. 
 
#2 Feeling relieved and relaxed
Now I am feeling relived and relaxed to find myself getting used to this course.  As I collected many good websites in "Delicious", (of course I would like to continue to enrich my collection in "Delicious") I started making a good combination of materials on the Internet and cook them to the needs and levels of my students.  
  

 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Masa,

    You have very clearly discussed the three tasks for the week and what you have done and learnt during this week.

    I have found out that you have got some creative ideas from this week’s tasks and readings like creating class website and adapting materials to special learners.

    Well done!

    Roza, Maldives

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Masa

    I like the term "cook" the materials, but cook has a negative connotation as well: as in, "the accountants cheated on the company taxes by cooking the books."

    Maybe we should say "simmer", "bake" or "sauté". :-)

    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Rosa,

    Thank you for your comment.
    At the beginning of this course, I was about to be drowned in the vast sea of websites, but now I am feeling myself improved while writing this blog at the end of each week.

    Thank you again and I do hope you do well in your research and study.

    Masa , Japan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Robert,

    Thank you for your advice.

    cook: to dishonestly change official records and figures in order to steal money or give people false information (LDCE)

    It's a word for today!

    Next time, I would like to use "saute" instead simply because it takes less time and energy than "simmer" :)

    Thank you again, and look forward to your suggestive comments and advice from now on.

    Masa, Japan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Masa:
    You have very clearly summerised about what you have learnt from week 4's materials and activities sent and guided by Robert. You are right that things are gradually getting easier and simpler though it seemed very difficult at the beginning. It was also the case with me.

    You have planned to create a class web. Very excellent plan. Let's share the webs that we will make. Then both students and teachers will be benefited. What do you think?

    Look forward to your reply.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, Ziaukarim,

    Sorry for my delay in reply.

    As for making my class website, it is yet to be made for some reasons. yet, I am still planning to make it.

    Thank you for your encouraging comment, and see you on-line so soon!

    Regards,

    Masa

    ReplyDelete